Multiplayer games are the city-center of digital communities today, and online platforms are the skyscraping feats of engineering that make them possible. Gamebreaking Studios is an experienced team of architects, engineers, and planners working together to build those platforms and fuel the growth of our favorite pastime. Whether a million players are crowding into an indie darling, a planet full of fans are eagerly awaiting features in a generational title, or we're cooking up something new in our back room, our engineers are called upon to make it all happen.
As a Software Development Engineer, we'll help you progress from reliably delivering features in existing frameworks to building your own frameworks and making them ready to delight millions of players every day. You'll primarily build online services, but the role is full stack; you'll learn to use game client or game engine technology when a project requires it. We are prepared to craft the role around the right person provided you have some professional experience and are eager to grow. Teaching others first and maintaining a mentorship culture are key ingredients to our success.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the skills listed here. We understand that your qualifications may shine through in different ways and can be based on unique perspectives and experiences.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience. (This is not an entry-level position.)
- Experience with a strongly-typed programming language (C#, Java, C++, or similar)
- Experience writing backend services
- Passion for video games and technology
- Write clean, well-tested code for online services and games
- Implement features from design to playtest without oversight
- Collaborate often via pair programming, whiteboarding, and technical discussions
- Provide thoughtful feedback on code and tech design reviews
- Articulate engineering needs to project managers and customers
Our Responsibilities to You
- Encourage healthy working hours, PTO, and a respect for your time
- Foster an environment of equal opportunity, treatment, and inclusion
- Create a fun and playful environment that remains professional and respectful
- Grow our culture positively and meaningfully through a high level of transparency and thoughtful conversation
- Provide opportunities for you to learn and grow
Potential Roles and Growth Paths (Choose One)
- Tech Lead — Lead a tech team through mentorship, setting code standards, and designing and building systems.
- Engineering Lead — Hire, manage, and mentor a small group of engineers while maintaining client relationships and code familiarity.
- Tech Area Expert — Apply subject-matter expertise as a solo strike team focused on solving tech issues, advising client teams, and designing systems in your domain.
- DIY — A small company means big opportunities if you're willing to forge your own path, and we're here to support you!